- Fall Graduates apply for awards by September 20
- Spring Graduates apply for awards by February 15
- Submit an application package addressed to the Finance Department that includes your resume, a letter of interest and any other appropriate background material
- Interviews are generally scheduled following receipt of package
Each year the Finance Department makes recommendations to the Eller College Undergraduate Program Office for consideration for scholarships, the Fielding-Singh Award as well as for the outstanding graduating Finance senior. The department may also award the Finance Department Head's Award for Academic Distinction to a graduating senior.
In April 2006, Arvind Singh, Director, International Programs in Finance, and his wife, Cynthia Fielding-Singh, made their first award gift to the Department of Finance. This annual gift is designated to encourage and reward undergraduate Finance majors. Two $1,500 awards are made to seniors graduating during the current year. Criteria for consideration is as defined below. Selection will include an interview with the Fielding-Singh Award selection committee of three Finance Department Faculty members.
The Outstanding Senior nomination will depend on the criteria detailed below as well as:
- Leadership activities
- Involvement in finance department student organizations
- Service activities
The recipient of the Finance Department Outstanding Senior will be automatically considered for the Eller College Outstanding Senior award. Winner of the Eller College Outstanding Senior is a candidate for The University of Arizona Outstanding Senior Award.
In general, when a student is a double-major and is being nominated as the outstanding student in another department, that student will not be considered for the Finance Department award.
Finance Department Head's Award for Academic Distinction
A graduating senior who excelled academically in the Finance major program may be selected as recipient of the Finance Department Head's Award for Academic Distinction for the semester.
Some scholarships are granted by the college as a whole and some scholarships have specific requirements that will be matched to student characteristics. Though nominations are made by the Finance Department, the final decision on scholarship recipients rests with a college-wide nominating committee.
There are a number of requisites for nominating Finance majors for scholarships, the Fielding-Singh Award and for Outstanding Senior Award, including:
- Grade Point Average, one of the more important components
- Difficulty of the courses taken
- Institution where courses were taken
- Honors courses taken
- Faculty-student interaction
- Participation in departmental, college and community programs
For additional information, please contact us.